Thursday, May 8, 2014

Finding Out The Bad News

Prep day was May 20, 2013.  I had been experiencing IBS symptoms for a couple of months, then some bleeding, and my doctor decided it was time for a colonoscopy.  I think deep down I knew it was something worse.  But you never want to believe that could happen to you.  I started the prep that afternoon.  Moviprep was going in, but nothing much was coming out.  By 11 o'clock that night, I was throwing up.  OK, this is not now this is supposed to work.  My husband and I got up early and headed out for the procedure.  An IV was started and then I was wheeled back to the room.  In what seemed like 2 minutes, I was waking up.  The doctor came in and told us that I had a blockage and he was pretty sure it was cancer.  Which hospital did I want to go to? 

We left the gastroenterologist and headed for St. Francis and the surgeons office.  My daughter met us at the hospital.  In a few hours, I was having a CT scan.  Surgery was scheduled for the next morning.  I still could have nothing to eat. Thankful that it was happening fast without much wait time,  we headed home.  I felt relieved that something was being done.  A kind of peace came over me.  That kind of peace that happens when you know that there is nothing you can do and you have to hand it over to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment