Friday, May 9, 2014

"Let's get this party started!"

Surgery didn't go as expected.  It was supposed to be done as an endoscopic procedure.  I would have 4 little incisions, Dr. Millican would remove the tumor and I would go home in a couple of days.  No problem.  I was not worried at all in pre-op.  I was laughing and talking to my family.  I remember saying to the nurses as they pushed me down to hall to the operating room, "let's get this party started!"

 But no.  I ended up being cut from my belly button down.  Because the prep hadn't worked to clean out my colon,  waste poured out when they removed a section of my colon.  What was supposed to be a short surgery, took hours.  My husband and my daughter were starting to worry in the waiting room.  The sigmoid mass, 12 inches of colon and 14 lymph nodes were removed.

For the next few days,  I could have nothing to drink or eat.  I had a little sponge on a stick that I could wet my lips with.  I have little memory of those days,  which is probably a good thing.  I do however remember when I could finally have some crushed ice with a little apple juice poured on it.  I cried.  It was so good.  I don't even like apple juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment